In its 79th year of service, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is a not-for-profit, non-stock health services company which, through its affiliates and subsidiaries, offers a comprehensive portfolio of products and administrative services to individuals and groups in Maryland, the District of Columbia and portions of Northern Virginia. CareFirst is the parent company of CareFirst of Maryland, Inc., and Group Hospitalization and Medical Services, Inc. CareFirst, Inc., and its affiliates are governed by a Board of Directors and special statutes regulating the company's business in Maryland, the District of Columbia and Northern Virginia.
The CareFirst organization:
- Is the largest health care insurer in the Mid-Atlantic region, serving 3.2 million members.
- Employs approximately 5,000 associates and contractors in Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia.
- Has launched the nation’s largest Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) program of its kind.
- Serves more than 577,000 members in the Federal Employees Health Program (FEP) – the largest FEP enrollment in the nation.
- Nationally recognized as a ‘Best in Blue’ insurer for providing stellar customer service for 16 consecutive years for D.C. FEP members and nine consecutive years for Maryland FEP members.
- Contributed nearly $40 million in 2015 to community programs designed to increase health care access, affordability, safety and quality throughout Maryland and the National Capital Area.
- CareFirst wins 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 award for Most Ethical Company. Learn more.
The mission of CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is to provide health benefit services of value to customers across the region comprised of Maryland and the National Capital Area. To fulfill this mission, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield commits to:
Offer a broad array of quality, innovative insurance plans and administrative services that are affordable and accessible to our customers;
Fairly address the needs of customers in each of the jurisdictions in which we operate;
Conduct business responsibly as a non-profit health service plan, to ensure the plan’s long-term financial viability and growth;
Collaborate with the community to advance health care effectiveness and quality;
Support public and private efforts to meet needs of persons lacking health insurance;
Foster health systems integration and health care cost containment to benefit the people in areas we serve, and
Promote respect, fairness and opportunity for our associates.
Financial Results (Year End 2015)
Revenue: $8.6 Billion
Net Income: $38.6 Million
Medical Care Spending: $7 Billion