Lactation Consultants Invited to Join CareFirst’s Networks
Posted on 2019-05-09
Updated on 2019-05-14 10:08:57
Effective May 9, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield and CareFirst BlueChoice, Inc. (CareFirst) will credential licensed health care providers who offer certified lactation services (CLS). These services include:
- Breastfeeding support, such as lactation consultation and counseling services
- Supplies, such as breast pumps
- Certain women’s services that are considered preventive
Eligible providers must meet specific Council for Affordable Quality Healthcare (CAQH) requirements and register using the ProView® application.
To join CareFirst's networks, eligible CLS providers must:
- Be a licensed health care provider, licensed in MD, DC, VA (or WV, PA or DE if treating patients in one contiguous county out of CareFirst’s service area), and licensed in the jurisdiction where the patient receives the service
- Be certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (ICBLC) or be a Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC) with the Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice. This is applicable to certain licensed health care providers.
- Maintain professional liability insurance in the amounts of $500,000 per occurrence and $1,500,000 annual aggregate
A health professional may become certified as an ICBLC or CLC. However, professional licensure is not required in order to obtain the certifications. For more information, visit carefirst.com/professionalcredentialing and click on How to Apply.