Mission & Values
CareFirst Code of Ethical Business Conduct and Compliance
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is committed to the highest standards of business ethics and integrity as well as strict observance and compliance with the laws and regulations governing its business operations.
Our Code of Ethical Business Conduct and Compliance is the foundation for the Compliance & Ethics program. It sets the performance standard for ethical business practices for all of our associates, board members and business partners.
The code is our guidebook for living our values.
Our values serve as the pillars of all we do. They guide our company’s dedication to maximizing our community’s access to high quality, cost effective health care services.
- We see ourselves through the eyes of our customers.
- We deliver services that anticipate our customers’ needs.
- We act with unquestionable ethics.
- We communicate openly, directly and timely.
Personal Accountability for Excellence
- We take individual ownership for achieving high performance.
- We demonstrate a bias for action.
One Company, One Team
- We align our decisions and actions for the greater good.
- We collaborate and support others to achieve results.
- We demonstrate leadership in our markets, our communities, and the health care industry.
- We each set an example of high ethical standards in performing our duties.
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield has a separate code for its vendor/contractor relationships: The Third Party Code of Ethical Business Conduct and Compliance.
The mission of CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is to provide health benefit services of value to customers across the region comprised of Maryland and the National Capital Area. To fulfill this mission, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield commits to:
- Offer a broad array of quality, innovative insurance plans and administrative services that are affordable and accessible to our customers;
- Fairly address the needs of customers in each of the jurisdictions in which we operate;
- Conduct business responsibly as a non-profit health service plan, to ensure the plan’s long-term financial viability and growth;
- Collaborate with the community to advance health care effectiveness and quality;
- Support public and private efforts to meet needs of persons lacking health insurance;
- Foster health systems integration and health care cost containment to benefit the people in areas we serve, and
- Promote respect, fairness and opportunity for our associates.